Homemade Apple Cider Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups apple cider or juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef on all sides in oil over medium-high heat; drain. Add the cider, vinegar, salt if desired, thyme and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, celery and onions; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 315 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Feb 20, 2016
I loved this stew, though my husband prefers stew without the apple cider. I think it adds just enough sweetness! It got rather thick and by the third night (I loved it so much I ate it 3 nights in a row!) there was no sauce. Next time I think I will follow a previous reviewer's suggestion of adding some water (or maybe beef broth). Plan to make again next week.
Oct 7, 2015
This weeks ingredient challenge was apples. I added parsnips and rutabagas to the ingredients and cooked it in my pressure cooker which only took 20 minutes! I like to refrigerate stew at least overnight for the flavors to blend so I made it on Sunday. I waited to thicken it until last night. I brought the stew to a high simmer and added a slurry of cornstarch, water, and browning sauce. The apple cider and apple cider vinegar made the gravy very savory. It's a keeper!
Feb 27, 2015
My absolute favorite stew recipe. I'm not huge on onions and I'm not the biggest meat eater, so I half both of those ingredients. Otherwise, I love this stew. It is sweet and savory, and everything is tender and delicious mixed with the apple cider/juice flavor.
Jan 2, 2015
This was good but had too much cider for me. Next time I'll replace part of the cider with beef broth
Oct 19, 2014
This was excellent. I made it in the crockpot. Turned out wonderful.
May 11, 2014
Love this recipe ! My mother in law makes one similar, and since tasting this yummy dish I am hooked!
Dec 8, 2010
I love this stew - its the only one I make actually. I do double the cider and add a couple of cups of water. Sometimes I substitute sweet potato for the potato.
Oct 20, 2010
If you like apple cider, you'll LOVE this stew!! A great fall stew, we enjoy it every fall when the weather turns cooler!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.