Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium red potato, cubed
- 1 small carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add the potato, carrot, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender.
- Stir in the milk, corn and pepper. Cook 5 minutes longer. Combine the flour and cold water until smooth; gradually whisk into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 473 calories, 30g fat (16g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 810mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Apr 3, 2019
I really love this chowder. I subbed homemade chicken stock for the water/bouillon because I had it on hand, and I added some salt and pepper to taste at the end. I doubled the recipe for the 2 of us because I wanted some leftovers for tomorrow. This is such a nice combination of flavors. It's going in the "keeper pile"!
Oct 25, 2017
This is very satisfying, tasty and easy to prepare. Has been added to my list of favorite soups. Did not have red potato, used russet.
Nov 15, 2016
This is my families favorite soup. When my boys come home from college in the winter they want me to make this. I always make extra because leftovers the next day are even better. One tip: Do not OVER cook the bacon or your whole soup will have a burned flavor.
Oct 26, 2016
Very good. Served the chowder with garlic bread. I'm glad I doubled the recipe so I have leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.
Oct 30, 2015
Hearty and tasty. Everything a chowder should be. I did add more salt and freshly ground black pepper to suit our tastes. I also added some chopped celery as I had some I wanted to use. I served it with a loaf of crusty rosemary bread and it was delicious.
Oct 22, 2015
It took some math to triple this recipe to accommodate my family, but it was totally worth it! I added a little salt at the table, will try adding 1/2 tsp in while cooking next time, and served it with sour cream on top. LOVE it!
Oct 3, 2015
for those who don't want 2 portion servings go to recipies for cooking for a crowd since you eat a lot. This is a great recipe
Feb 10, 2015
This chowder was so delicious. It was a chilly, rainy day and it really hit the spot. Even the two year old went back for seconds!
Nov 15, 2014
This is delicious and definitely a hearty soup which is welcome at this time of year.And for those of you who take issue with the serving for 2, it is very easy to just double or triple the recipe to make as much as you desire! It's often very difficult to find a recipe that works for just 2 since you can't always use 1/2 a can of soup or something similar.
Oct 11, 2014
I agree with jillknit. I'm always looking for recipes for which we don't have days of left overs.