Corn Chowder with Bacon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings.
- In the drippings, saute the onion, celery and green pepper until tender. Add the potatoes, broth, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Combine flour and cream until smooth; stir into pan. Add corn. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 362 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 738mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 5, 2013
Yum! Hearty, tasty, would definitely make this again!The broth I used had no salt so I added a touch more, and added a few shakes of white pepper to round out the flavor.Excellent!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.