Fresh Corn & Potato Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound red potatoes (about 3 medium), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn (about 7 ounces)
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until tender. Add potatoes, corn, broth, 1 cup cream, green onions, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and remaining cream until smooth; stir into soup. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 200 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 534mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 13, 2018
just made this afternoon, although the temp outside is 109. I just had a bowl and it is wonderful. The only thing I changed was to fry a couple of slices of bacon chopped up very fine instead of using butter. Everything else is pretty much followed the recipe, and it was outstanding. Made this for a friend who's got some dental issues, because it's soft and I figured if the corn was too chewy I'd throw in my hand blender so she could mush it up a little more if she needed to. Great
Mar 23, 2016
Creamy and delicious! I used canned no-salt added corn (didn't have fresh), and it turned out great. I did have to use corn starch instead of flour to thicken it, but that's a minor change. I'll be making this again! Thanks!
Jan 12, 2016
Turned out great!
Oct 15, 2015
This soup is so simple and so delicious. It tasted even better warmed up the next day. I made a second batch to share with coworkers - everyone loved it and asked for the recipe.