Fresh Corn Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 large ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- Cut corn off the cob; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the potatoes, water, bouillon, thyme, pepper and corn. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Combine flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 204 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 reduced-fat milk.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 22, 2016
What a great tasting soup. I took advantage of using the last of our summers fresh corn. That added a natural sweetness tot he soup. I also added 1 grated carrot just to add some eye appeal. And I cut back on the potatoes and flour. Just wanted to roll back a few calories. Hubby and I both enjoyed this hearty, flavorful soup. Fresh thyme and sweet Jersey corn made this one a Winner. Its one that I'd recommend trying.Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor
Jul 23, 2012
Very good. My husband raved about this soup. I only used two very large ears of corn, I added some onion, grated one carrot, added fresh red peper. I used 1% milk and omitted the butter to save on fat grams. I have a feeling I will be making again for my husband. Thanks.
Jan 9, 2012
I thawed some frozen sweet corn and added in some carrots and more celery, veggie bouillon cube and also used soy flour (trying to live a vegetarian life style and also gluten free). Very easy to make and save for me not adequately combining the flour and milk to a really smooth consistency I like it a lot. I love how the flavor of the corn is out front and on display. I contemplated attempting this with a sweet potato but I was afraid of the flavor profile but I may try that in the future. Would definitely try again and will expand the veggies for my own dietary requirements.