Corn Chowder with Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cubed reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/2 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Place a large saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add potatoes, carrot, water, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in corn, 1-1/4 cups milk and bacon. In a small bowl, mix flour and remaining milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir in beer and, if desired, liquid smoke; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 179 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Jan 27, 2014
We loved this! My husband and I both thought the liquid smoke was what made it. Without it, it might have been bland. Just don't use too much. :)
Dec 16, 2013
I made this last night for supper and it was really, really good! I left out the onion as I'm highly allergic to them , added more garlic and it turned out great. When my husband eats two bowls of soup, I know it has to be good. Great flavor and have enough left for a couple more meals.
Nov 3, 2013
Really bland. I was looking forward to this, it sounded good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.