Cheddar Corn Chowder
My children absolutely love this rich, zippy soup. They have just one complaint - it seems I never make a big enough batch to suit them!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained or 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and red pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, mustard, paprika, salt, pepper flakes and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add milk; cook and stir until soup comes to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 272 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 605mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Dec 25, 2015
I added chicken to the recipe. My kids were not thrilled when I told them what I was making but they asked for seconds after trying it.
Oct 1, 2011
I added leftover chicken and it was delicious!