Cheesy Corn Chowder
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes15 servings (3-3/4 quarts)
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cans (11 ounces each) gold and white corn, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until onion is tender. Add the water, potatoes, carrots and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in corn and pepper. In a large bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses; cook and stir until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 282 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 644mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Jan 8, 2020
Dec 1, 2019
I loved this chowder! I couldn't wait to eat lunch the next day; it was even better!
Jan 3, 2018
Love this chowder!! Definitely my new favorite!!!
Feb 5, 2016
I agree this is a very rich and delicious soup. Not too good for my cholesterol, however. I added celery, granulated garlic, some creamed corn.
Feb 3, 2016
Everybody loved this soup. I used Mexican blend instead of cheddar because that is what I already had in the fridge. I will definitely make this soup again.
Jan 10, 2016
Loved this! Will for sure make it again.
Jun 9, 2015
Excellent chowder, and it made a huge pot. I served this with BLT sandwiches.
Mar 5, 2015
Wonderful. !! I have made this several times !!!!!!
Feb 11, 2015
Delicious! I didn't have the exact listed ingredients, but I think my substitutes addressed some of the reviews that suggested it needed a bit more "zip." I used some homemade seasoned chicken broth I had frozen instead of the water and bouillon and I used shredded pepper jack cheese along with some shredded cheddar and instead of regular Velveeta, I used the new Queso kind. My husband loved it and I did, too, perfect meal along with a veggie tray and hot rolls for a cold winter night! And, as promised it made a nice big pot and we are both looking forward to leftovers!
Jan 29, 2015
This soup was delicious! I would definitely make it again. Even my picky husband said he liked it! Can't wait to eat the left-overs!