Potato Bacon Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup water
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1-3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a small saucepan and cover with the water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute onion and celery in drippings until tender; drain. Add to undrained potatoes. Stir in the soup, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until heated through (do not boil).
- Crumble bacon; set aside 1/4 cup. Add remaining bacon to soup along with parsley. Sprinkle with reserved bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 389 calories, 29g fat (13g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 869mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Oct 1, 2017
This soup is good on a cold winters day. I doubled the recipe to get a pot of soup. It calls for a lot of bacon and I used 3/4 of what it called for. I also used one can of cream of chicken and a half a can of cream of mushroom, as I didn't have two cans of cream of chicken. My husband and Son loved this soup.
Jan 13, 2016
This is quite good and so easy. My husband loved it!
Mar 21, 2014
I liked this recipe. It was extremely easy to follow, and it turned out tasting very good. Even my picky 5-year-old ate it (he loves bacon). Thank you!
Dec 9, 2013
It was ok. A little to rich for my taste. Next time I think I will substitute the milk, sour cream and cream of chicken for half and half.
Nov 8, 2012
11-08-2012Great Falls, MontanaWe are getting our first major snow storm of the season, I made this recipe this evening for dinner. AWESOME !!! Thank you for sharing Jacque !
Dec 5, 2010
Sooo good and very easy to make! Great meal after a busy day. We are going to try it with cream of mushroom soup next time to see how that it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.