I came up with this recipe when unexpected guests stopped by and I didn't have enough chili to go around. The spur-of-the-moment main dish is now a family favorite. —Cindy Cuykendall, Skaneateles, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (7 ounces) spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Drain spaghetti; add to beef mixture. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, water, chili seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 374 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Chili-ghetti in Quick Cooking November/December 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.