Spinach and Shrimp Fra Diavolo
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 3 cups finely chopped fresh spinach
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until sauce is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and spinach; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink and spinach is wilted, 3-5 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with cheese.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 235 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 727mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Oct 18, 2019
Turned out fine. No complaints, but also didn't taste incredibly special for being a "contest winner." This dish was good, but if you make tomato-based sauces enjoy Italian dishes frequently, this might not stand out.
Jun 20, 2019
Turned out very well. Can make it as spicy as you want, with amount of red pepper flakes.
Jun 1, 2019
Shrimp is my go to protein for meals in a hurry because it cooks up in minutes; I also keep a bag of frozen peeled RAW shrimp in the freezer - Costco makes it economical to do so. This dish is so easy and delicious as is and my family loved it. Next time I may try subbing Rotel tomatoes with green chilies for the regular diced tomatoes to kick up the heat a notch. I served this with angel hair pasta. Lynne, Volunteer Field Editor
Apr 12, 2019
Excellent. Can't go wrong with this recipe.