Shrimp and Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
When I meet former co-workers for lunch at our favorite restaurant, we always order this salad. I wanted to share it with my husband, so I made it my mission to re-create it. Mission accomplished! —Lisa Bynum, Brandon, Mississippi
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Sprinkle shrimp with steak seasoning. On four metal or soaked wooden skewers, thread shrimp. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat until shrimp turn pink, 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Add shallot; cook and stir over medium heat until tender, 1-2 minutes. Stir in next six ingredients; bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a large serving bowl, combine spinach and dressing; toss to coat. Layer with shrimp and pepper slices; top with cooked bacon and almonds.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 212 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 739mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 2 fat.
Originally published as Shrimp and Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing in Taste of Home Feb/Mar 2018