Hearty Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Place spinach in a large salad bowl; set aside. In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, celery seed and pepper. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; pour over spinach and toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 97 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 215mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Sep 13, 2017
This was excellent! I added 3/4 c. Half red onion/half shallot and used dijon mustard instead of the ground mustard because its what I had.
Jan 11, 2011
Delicious! This was my first time ever having this and I love it.
Aug 24, 2010
Awesome! This is a great recipe to make with your family or for guests. It was loved by all!
Jan 25, 2010
Love this recipe! Great flavors with fresh spinach from my garden.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.