Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
My spinach salad with a comforting bacon dressing is a recipe I turn to again and again in winter. It's quick, elegant and so delicious. I can always count on compliments. —Sandy Davis, Phoenix, Arizona
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels. Discard all but 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Add vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard and seasonings to drippings; heat through, stirring to blend. Transfer to a small bowl; gradually whisk in oil. Stir in half of the bacon.
- Place spinach, onion and eggs in a large bowl; toss with warm dressing. Sprinkle with remaining bacon; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 280 calories, 25g fat (6g saturated fat), 196mg cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as WILTED SPINACH SALAD in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.