Spinach-Onion Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
I knew this spinach salad was something special when my picky husband asked for seconds! The sweet-tart bacon dressing with a hint of honey is a real treat.— Leigh Gallagher, Austin, WA
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped, divided
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 5 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and half of the onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Stir in the vinegar, honey, salt and pepper; heat through. Transfer to a small bowl; gradually whisk in oil.
- Place spinach in a large bowl. Drizzle warm dressing over spinach and toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining onion.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 216 calories, 18g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 341mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Spinach Salad with Bacon & Onion Dressing in Country Woman February/March 2010