Green Salad with Shrimp and Wine Vinaigrette
I came up with this tasty green salad with shrimp. It's light, and you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand.—Cecilia Flowers, Nashville, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 cup chopped fresh cauliflower
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 shallots, finely chopped, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups spring mix salad greens
- 1 bunch watercress
- 20 peeled and deveined cooked large shrimp
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- Using a sharp knife, level the bottom of each artichoke and cut 1 in. from the top. Using kitchen scissors, snip off tips of outer leaves. Place in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam until leaves near the center pull out easily, 20-25 minutes. Add the asparagus, cauliflower and broccoli to steamer basket; cover and cook until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine wine and one shallot. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, wine mixture, mustard, salt, pepper and remaining shallot; set aside.
- With a spoon, carefully remove the fuzzy centers and discard. Thinly slice artichoke hearts.
- Place salad greens and watercress on a large platter. Top with the cooked vegetables, shrimp, fennel, red pepper and artichoke slices. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with reserved fennel fronds.