Winter Oven Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine 4 tablespoons flour, salt if desired and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and turn to coat.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove and set aside. Add onion to the pan and cook until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining flour and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add the beef, tomatoes and thyme. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add the potatoes and carrots. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 439 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 426mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 30g protein.
Dec 31, 2019
One of the best oven-cooked stew recipes I've seen. Thawing the peas before adding is important. This stew is very flexible and forgiving - you can add the potatoes, peas and carrots at the beginning and just cook for the 2 1/4 hours.
Sep 22, 2019
I'm just letting readers know the recipe ingredients don't include the potatoes and peas, but they are a part of the directions. It's not a major problem if you're a skilled chef, but for newbie and beginner cooks, it is problematic not having the proportions labeled with the ingredients.
Feb 9, 2019
LOVE IT! I made this stew earlier this week over steamed rice. Tonight I added beef broth and had a great Vegetable beef soup! Definitely a keeper!!!!
Jan 7, 2019
Very good. I made in my romertopf clay pot, but when adding the veggies had to move to a larger pot. Veggies were cooked in the hour .
Dec 13, 2018
We love this beef stew! It's my go-to stew. I've been making it several years now. The taste is wonderful, and the beef cubes get nice and tender.
Nov 19, 2018
I usually make my stew in a crock pot, but lately I've been enjoying the Dutch oven method. I made a couple of changes. I exchanged one cup of the beef broth for red wine. I also sauteed the carrots until they were lightly browned. It brings out a lovely flavor. I also just dumped everything back into the pot at one time. It seems like my potatoes and carrots never quite get done enough when I add them in later. I don't know how to describe the difference between making stew in the crock pot as opposed to the Dutch oven. The Dutch oven seems to give the stew a more robust flavor.
Oct 22, 2018
I made this for dinner last night and it was absolutely delicious! Same recipe but I added a splash of Worcestershire sauce and served it in Pepperidge Farm pastry shells. Everyone loved it! I will make this again and again!
Jan 5, 2018
Made this the other day and let it set overnight. Reheated for dinner last night. It was wonderful, meat & vegetables were very tender. Will be making again. A wonderful dish for a cold winter night.
Sep 13, 2017
This is by far one of my family's favorite recipes. I also add a pinch of rosemary and some fresh parsley to mine as well. And I try to make sure all the beef and vegetable bites are about the same size. It makes for easier eating.
Feb 15, 2017
Delicious! I cooked it in a cast iron Dutch oven in a Big Green Egg ceramic smoker. Since I left the Dutch oven lid cracked a little to let in the hickory smoke flavor, I added an extra cup of broth. I should have added a little bit more. I also replaced the stewed tomatoes with Mexican style stewed tomatoes to get a little jalapeno kick, it a perfect complement to this stew. It was a huge hit with the family, I'll definitely make it again.