Winter Oven Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 4 tablespoons flour, salt if desired and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove and set aside. Add onion to the pan and cook until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining flour and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add the beef, tomatoes and thyme. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add the potatoes and carrots. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 439 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 426mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 30g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 9, 2019
LOVE IT! I made this stew earlier this week over steamed rice. Tonight I added beef broth and had a great Vegetable beef soup! Definitely a keeper!!!!
Jan 7, 2019
Very good. I made in my romertopf clay pot, but when adding the veggies had to move to a larger pot. Veggies were cooked in the hour .
Dec 13, 2018
We love this beef stew! It's my go-to stew. I've been making it several years now. The taste is wonderful, and the beef cubes get nice and tender.
Nov 19, 2018
I usually make my stew in a crock pot, but lately I've been enjoying the Dutch oven method. I made a couple of changes. I exchanged one cup of the beef broth for red wine. I also sauteed the carrots until they were lightly browned. It brings out a lovely flavor. I also just dumped everything back into the pot at one time. It seems like my potatoes and carrots never quite get done enough when I add them in later. I don't know how to describe the difference between making stew in the crock pot as opposed to the Dutch oven. The Dutch oven seems to give the stew a more robust flavor.
Oct 22, 2018
I made this for dinner last night and it was absolutely delicious! Same recipe but I added a splash of Worcestershire sauce and served it in Pepperidge Farm pastry shells. Everyone loved it! I will make this again and again!
Jan 5, 2018
Made this the other day and let it set overnight. Reheated for dinner last night. It was wonderful, meat & vegetables were very tender. Will be making again. A wonderful dish for a cold winter night.
Sep 13, 2017
This is by far one of my family's favorite recipes. I also add a pinch of rosemary and some fresh parsley to mine as well. And I try to make sure all the beef and vegetable bites are about the same size. It makes for easier eating.
Feb 15, 2017
Delicious! I cooked it in a cast iron Dutch oven in a Big Green Egg ceramic smoker. Since I left the Dutch oven lid cracked a little to let in the hickory smoke flavor, I added an extra cup of broth. I should have added a little bit more. I also replaced the stewed tomatoes with Mexican style stewed tomatoes to get a little jalapeno kick, it a perfect complement to this stew. It was a huge hit with the family, I'll definitely make it again.
Oct 16, 2016
This was ok, I enjoyed the heartiness but it lacked flavor. May attempt a 2nd try with more spices.
Jul 25, 2016
This is SO good. I prepare it all the time in the fall & winter. In the summer I'll fix it EARLY in the morning before the sun rolls around & reheat individual portions in the evening. SO yummy, and easy!