Skillet Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium potaotes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, melt butter; cook chicken until chicken juices to run clear. Add onion and celery; cook for 3 minutes. Stir in potatoes and carrots.
- In a small bowl, combine the broth, thyme, ketchup and cornstarch; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 275 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Nov 7, 2019
This is a great recipe. It is very adaptable. I do not use the corn starch. I also add additional spices like a bay leaf, sage and marjoram. Great winter recipe! I usually end up adding more broth.
Oct 16, 2019
I had reservations about this recipe but I am so glad I made it!!! Was the best stew I've ever had.
Sep 29, 2019
Very good recipe! Did not need the cornstarch, the flour from the chicken was enough to thicken this stew. However, no way is this recipe done in 25 minutes cooking time. But that's ok, will make again.
Aug 8, 2019
Oh, WOW! I made this for myself and my husband a couple weeks ago. It is now one of our favourite dishes, ever. Thank you so much for sharing. Delicious!
Dec 20, 2018
A follow up note to review of Dec 11, 2018: forgot to mention that I left out the potatoes and ketchup.
Nov 25, 2018
This is a simple and tasty meal. We added another half cup of broth, some frozen peas and garlic and a little more cornstarch. It is all gone
Nov 16, 2018
This was very good and it was fairly quick and easy. The only change I made was that tripled the gravy because we added dumplings on top and the dumplings absorb a lot of gravy. It was perfect. My family thought it was a keeper.
Nov 3, 2018
My neighbor made this delicious stew and was kind enough to share some with me. She followed the recipe exactly except she added some diced zucchini (since she had some on hand she wanted to use). It was thick and hearty ..... comfort food at it's best! I would use more salt and a bit more broth, but, other than that .... I highly recommend this tasty stew!!
Oct 31, 2018
good easy to prepare recipe
Feb 26, 2018
This recipe is definitely ease-oriented, with great flavor development.