Skillet Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium potaotes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, melt butter; cook chicken until chicken juices to run clear. Add onion and celery; cook for 3 minutes. Stir in potatoes and carrots.
- In a small bowl, combine the broth, thyme, ketchup and cornstarch; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 275 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 11, 2018
A really good base. I used boneless skinless thighs, added extra broth, garlic, bay leaf, some Sauvignon Blanc, frozen peas, and served it over wide egg noodles. I let it simmer slowly for a bit longer to be sure the chicken was tender and to blend flavors. Good weeknight meal!
Nov 25, 2018
This is a simple and tasty meal. We added another half cup of broth, some frozen peas and garlic and a little more cornstarch. It is all gone
Nov 16, 2018
This was very good and it was fairly quick and easy. The only change I made was that tripled the gravy because we added dumplings on top and the dumplings absorb a lot of gravy. It was perfect. My family thought it was a keeper.
Nov 3, 2018
My neighbor made this delicious stew and was kind enough to share some with me. She followed the recipe exactly except she added some diced zucchini (since she had some on hand she wanted to use). It was thick and hearty ..... comfort food at it's best! I would use more salt and a bit more broth, but, other than that .... I highly recommend this tasty stew!!
Oct 31, 2018
good easy to prepare recipe
Feb 26, 2018
This recipe is definitely ease-oriented, with great flavor development.
Oct 21, 2017
Not much flavor, but will try again adding additional herbs & spices. Prep was very easy.
Feb 22, 2016
Very good family-friendly weeknight meal. We added 1/2 cup water and 1/2 TSP pepper to the sauce. It was tasty, but we would still like it a bit more flavorful. Next time I will add more spices.
Feb 27, 2015
This is amazing and very easy! A definite keeper!
Apr 29, 2014
This was very good! Fast and easy, too. I did make a few changes in ingredients--I don't like cooked celery, and I wanted more color, so added some peas and corn for that, but that just proves this is a good recipe to follow exactly or use as a "jumping off point." Being able to have a hearty stew ready in about 30 minutes is great for weeknights.