Contest-Winning Reuben Casserole
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 2/3 cup condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/3 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the soup, milk, onion and mustard; set aside.
- Spread sauerkraut into a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Drain noodles; place over sauerkraut. Layer with soup mixture and kielbasa; sprinkle with cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts2 cups: 587 calories, 37g fat (15g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 2315mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 5, 2017
Excellent and very tasty. Worth the 5 stars and will make again.
Jan 4, 2016
I don't usually give 5 stars but this dish was that good! I did add a touch of Thousand Island type dressing to give it more of a Reuben taste and it was perfect. The sauce mixture with the sausage and noodles. I also loved that it uses sausage instead of corned beef - as I can't find that as often.
Dec 4, 2014
Simple and good. I'm not sure if Reuben Casserole is the best name for it though. Maybe just Polonaise Casserole?
May 3, 2014
Had to try this, sounded like something my bohemian mom and slovakian mom in law served.A little different, but very tasty and easy to put together, will do again. Doubled the recipe and perfect for 4 big eaters. Also added a can of mushroom. Thanks
Jan 18, 2014
I doubled the recipe and was really pleased with how it turned out. Quick to put together and tasty.
May 18, 2013
I doubled the recipe as I had 4 people eating and it turned out perfect! I thought the combo of the soup an sauerkraut would be weird but it was very, very good.
Mar 12, 2013
I have made this twice for my son and myself. I used a whole can of soup, a little more kielbasa and egg noodles. He had several helpings, which is great because he has lately not liked anything I cook! We even ate leftovers another night. A great alternative to the traditional reuben!!
Jan 22, 2013
Made this on Monday and it was absolutely delicious!! However, I am not a big fan of cream of mushroom so I substituted it with cream of celery. I did not rinse the sauerkraut, I used the juice and I eliminated the bread crumbs on the top. This was superb...I nice change from other meals & very easy to throw together. He has already said I have to make this again.
Oct 20, 2011
A new family favorite. thanks.