Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours 20 minutes
Makes10 servings (3-3/4 quarts)
- 4 stalks Swiss chard (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium yellow summer squash or zucchini, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet red or yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- Cut stems from chard; chop stems and leaves separately. Reserve leaves for adding later. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and chard stems; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, beans, chickpeas, squash, pepper, carrot and garlic. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pasta and reserved chard leaves. Cook, covered, on low 20-25 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Serve with pesto.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 231 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 1015mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 22, 2019
We loved this soup. My kids asked for seconds. The pesto adds the “seasoning” flavour. I made it on the stovetop
Apr 14, 2018
I used beef and vegetable broth, fresh spinach in place of the chard, and both summer and zucchini squash. Near the end of the time, I added some chopped up leftover T-Bone Steak. It needed more seasoning so I added garlic salt, onion powder, garlic pepper, and Italian Seasoning. Doctoring it up made it better.
Nov 26, 2016
Didnt really care for it that much. Maybe it was the greens I didnt like in it
Oct 28, 2016
One of my favorite slow cooker recipes for fall/winter. I've been making this for a couple of years now and it is a family pleaser. Very healthy too, and tastes great! I love how easy it is to make.
Apr 9, 2016
Made this yesterday without the chard, and substituted 8 cups chicken broth for the veg broth. When it had fully cooked there was little liquid left. Probably because I didn't read the directions carefully, and added an entire package of rainbow pasta. Really liked it that way, probably more than if it had been more like soup. Thought it could have used some seasoning, which I will add when I make it again.
Jan 21, 2016
Fantastic!!! Just what I was looking for in a minestrone. The colors look so beautiful & it was exactly what I needed too warm me up on a cold day! I took the advice to use multi colored pasta. Definitely a keeper!
Jan 19, 2016
Nov 28, 2015
Cooked on the stovetop for about 1 hour and we were perfectly happy with the taste.
Mar 23, 2015
My husband and I both loved this soup. I cooked it on the stove, bringing it to a boil, then covering and simmering on medium-low for 20 minutes. I added the pasta and chard leaves, cooking for an additional 10 minutes. The addition of pesto is brilliant.
Mar 23, 2015
you look at total carbs. 15 grams equal i carb count' You have a total of 34 grams so, you have 2 carbs. if you had 43 you would count that as 3 carbs. I hope this clears it up for you, i know it is confusing, Total carbs dived by 15.