Rainbow Layer Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons each lemon, strawberry and orange gelatin powder
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) lemon frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions, substituting three whole eggs for egg whites. Divide evenly among three bowls. Stir one flavor of gelatin into each bowl until blended. Pour each into a prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Freeze option: Wrap cooled cake layers in plastic wrap, then cover securely in foil; freeze. To use, thaw cakes before unwrapping. Assemble as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 444 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
May 25, 2018
I rarely used cake mixes, but needed something easy for Memorial Day picnic. Saw this, and loved the colors. It was indeed easy, fruity, pretty, and good! I wanted my layers to be full size 9 inch layer cakes, and not thin. One cake mix makes only 2 full sized layers. So, I doubled this recipe, and filled my cake pans a little fuller, and had enough left to make 12 regular sized cupcakes. It took a small box of each flavor of gelatin in the double recipe, so no measuring needed. I used a cookie scoop to drop Tbsp sized balls of batter into the cupcake liners, alternating the colors. They came out marbled and pretty! I also used 2% milk in place of the water as it gives a little richer cake batter. I baked the cakes for 30 minutes, and the cupcakes for about 20. I made lemon buttercream frosting to fill and frost the cakes, increasing the recipe to have enough for the cupcakes. I will definitely make this cake again.
May 6, 2018
reread closely found where they are listed
Apr 3, 2018
Make it for Easter Dinner and the family truly enjoyed this moist colorful cake. I will make again. Thanks for sharing.
Mar 19, 2018
This cake is amazing. Soft and moist and colorful. The colors and flavor possibilities are endless. I usually cut a whole cake in half to freeze for a later time. This cake disappeared before I could freeze half of it. This cake has earned a place in my give-away collection.
Oct 26, 2015
Hi 235gbt, the recipe asks you to use the 3 whole eggs in place of the egg whites called for in the directions on the box cake mix.Hope that helps.Sue StetzelOnline Community ManagerTaste of Home Magazine
Oct 25, 2015
I am confused - it calls for 3 eggs - then in the directions - it says to use egg whites? which is the right answer... 3 eggs or egg whites and does it make a difference as to which eggs I use?
Jul 11, 2015
This is indeed a very pretty cake ...was soft and moist but little crumbly..and next time would reduce the oil by a tbsp or two cuz the paper underneath the cake showed extra oil...I used another cake icing recipe also available in TOH (lemon orange cake recipe) for this cake...it's citrus lemony flavour blended really well with this cake but was a little sweet although I used only 4 cups of the icing sugar then what the recipe called for...it does taste like eating a fruit candy ...next time will try to enhance the flavor by adding a tbsp of lemon juice, orange juice and stawberry juice or essence!! Will let u know how it turns out :)
May 5, 2015
I made this cake for my hubby's Birthday. Everyone love the color and the way it tasted.
Mar 10, 2015
I didn't try it yet. It looks & sounds so yummy, it's got to be a 5 start easy yummy cake!
Mar 10, 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.