Cubed Beef and Barley Soup
Here's a stick to your ribs type of soup. I've also used a chuck roast, rump roast and London broil that's been cut into bite-size pieces with tremendous sucess.—Jane McMillan, Dania Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Add the broth, beer, onion, barley, garlic, oregano, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, pepper flakes, pepper, salt and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Stir in vegetables; cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until meat is tender and vegetables are heated through. Discard bay leaf.