Slow-Cooked Black Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes8 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- Dash pepper
- Minced fresh cilantro
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 6 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are softened, 6-8 hours.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, or cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender. Return to slow cooker and heat through.
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add corn; cook and stir, until golden brown, 4-6 minutes. Sprinkle soup with pepper. Garnish with corn and cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 117 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 616mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Feb 6, 2020
Delightful recipe...a hit. I tweaked the recipe: Less liquid, doubled the beans, added chile powder, and used homemade chicken stock: 2 cans (large size) black beans, rinsed and drained. I prefer Bush or Goya 2 medium onion, finely chopped 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped 8 garlic cloves, minced 1 TBS cumin, freshly ground 1 tsp Kosher salt 1 qt chicken broth, /- to thickness desired 1 TBS olive oil Essential: Top with 1 cup frozen corn, pan roasted Dash pepper Topping: Minced fresh cilantro Optional: 1/2 TBS Chile powder Ready in under 1 hour. ¡Buen provecho!
Jul 23, 2019
Delicious! Love the corn topping!
Apr 22, 2019
This was on my lunch menu and of course, time got away from me. So , my IP to the rescue. I just cooked all of the ingredients , except for the corn for 5 minutes on the soup feature. After 10 minutes of release time, I pureed the mixture and then added the corn. Easy and quick lunch, thanks to the IP. I did add a T. of taco seasoning for additional flavor.