Slow-Cooked Black Bean Soup
Life can get really crazy with young children, but I never want to compromise when it comes to cooking. This recipe is healthy and so easy thanks to the slow cooker! —Angela Lemoine, Howell, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes8 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- Dash pepper
- Minced fresh cilantro
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first six ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are softened, 6-8 hours.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, or cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender. Return to slow cooker and heat through.
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add corn; cook and stir, until golden brown, 4-6 minutes. Sprinkle soup with pepper. Garnish with corn and cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 117 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 616mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup in Simple & Delicious February/March 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.