Slow-Cooked Black Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes8 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- Dash pepper
- Minced fresh cilantro
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first six ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are softened, 6-8 hours.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, or cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender. Return to slow cooker and heat through.
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add corn; cook and stir, until golden brown, 4-6 minutes. Sprinkle soup with pepper. Garnish with corn and cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 117 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 616mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Jul 23, 2019
Delicious! Love the corn topping!
Apr 22, 2019
This was on my lunch menu and of course, time got away from me. So , my IP to the rescue. I just cooked all of the ingredients , except for the corn for 5 minutes on the soup feature. After 10 minutes of release time, I pureed the mixture and then added the corn. Easy and quick lunch, thanks to the IP. I did add a T. of taco seasoning for additional flavor.