Slow-Cooked Bean Medley
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until onion and peppers are tender. Discard bay leaves.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 255 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 942mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 7g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 11, 2017
Definitely will try,...May cream it up a It with refried beans,plus salsa...and cilantro too!Like the possibility of 5 by chance or choice!
Feb 2, 2016
Very good. Only change I will make next time is cut the brown sugar in half. A little too sweet. Hubby wants me to add polish sausage. This was a great recipe.
Oct 5, 2015
For church potluck, I swapped out Lima beans and black-eyed peas for: Mexican corn, (I drained) and a can of chili beans w/garlic, onion & peppers (which I didn't drain). I also didn't add any water. I only used 1 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 med yellow, and med. red pepper instead of the green. I used 1 cup each of cooked, chopped bacon & ham. Next time will try the hamburger. Everyone raved about this dish, so I had to give it 5 stars!
Aug 11, 2015
Can this recipe be frozen...........I like to make large portions then break it up in small bowls to warm later.
Jun 24, 2015
Very good just the way its written. will deffinately make again.
May 7, 2015
I've been making these for years. I add cooked ground beef & I double the sauce (2 cups ketchup, 2 cups brown sugar & 1/4 c of vinegar). Always bring home an empty crockpot :)
May 2, 2015
I'm surprised that this bean dish got such high reviews, because I thought it was rather bland. I think that maybe substituting barbecue sauce for the ketchup would punch up the flavor, but I won't be making them again. It was an attractive dish, with the color from the peppers and corn, but was really lacking in flavor. Not bad- just bland.
Feb 19, 2015
I put ground beef in. It was a big hit
Nov 20, 2014
I'm not sure how I liked this as a side dish, but (as another reviewer suggested) it was great with fritos! i can see how it would be a great hot dog topping as well.
Oct 12, 2014
Excellent change of pace with baked beans.