Slow Cooker BBQ Baked Beans
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + soaking Cook: 8-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried great northern beans
- 2 smoked ham hocks (about 1/2 pound each)
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons onion powder, divided
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, optional
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine beans, ham hocks, water, onion, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon onion powder. Cook, covered, on low until beans are tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove ham hocks; cool slightly. Cut meat into small cubes, discarding bones; return meat to slow cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce, brown sugar, nutmeg, cloves, remaining garlic powder, remaining onion powder and, if desired, pepper sauce. Cook, covered, on high until heated through, about 30 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 238 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 8g fiber), 10g protein.
Jul 3, 2018
I would think that if you used low sodium bacon instead of the ham hocks it would lower the sodium level even lower
Jun 16, 2018
The beans have 347mg sodium per serving! This is not a low sodium dish,
Apr 15, 2017
Excellent. Everyone loved them. I used maple syrup instead of the brown sugar. The cilice so gives a very subtle flavour. Janet. VFE
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.