Easy Beef Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir the beef, mushrooms, celery and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Stir in the carrots, potato, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Whisk in milk and tomato paste; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 317 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 753mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Dec 1, 2014
An Autumn/Winter core recipe!! Soo good. I followed it to the T, except didnt have barley so I researched substitutes, and used wild rice and red beans instead. Still produced that hearty nutty taste!
Oct 16, 2014
Delicious, unique and healthy! My new favorite soup!
Aug 25, 2014
I have made this recipe many times since I initially found it about 8 months ago. I probably made it at least once or twice a month last winter. Very delicious! I use ground turkey rather than ground beef.
Feb 15, 2014
Kids described it as Cheeseburger soup! It was a winner at our house and went into my great recipes file! :)
Mar 18, 2012
simple, cheap and healthy. We all liked it.
Feb 21, 2012
We thought this was great, but it need more barley. Also I didn't use the milk or tomatoe paste at the end. My husband wants it again.
Jan 16, 2012
This soup was so good. Would make it again.
Oct 28, 2011
Feb 1, 2011
We really enjoyed this on a cold wintery day, however I made several adjustments including omitting mushrooms (didn't have any), adding dried parsley, garlic and a bay leaf. I also didn't have any barley so I used 1/2 c quinoa and omitted tomato paste and evaporated milk. I just cooked the quinoa for about 12 min after adding it to the boiling soup. Yum!
Feb 18, 2010
My husband and i loved this recipe. i did add more mushrooms. There didnt seem to be enought for us.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.