Ground Beef Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 2 hours 40 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 2 quarts water
- 2 meaty beef soup bones
- 2 beef bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, bring water and soup bones to a rapid boil; add bouillon. Stir in ground beef in small amounts. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until the meat comes easily off the bones.
- Remove bones. Strain broth; cool and chill. Skim off fat. Remove meat from bones; dice and return to broth along with remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 295 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 1068mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Dec 15, 2019
Very quick and easy...excellent...the green specks is the dry parley
Oct 6, 2016
Have made this before, very very good!!!
Sep 13, 2014
The green is parsley.Who uses a scale to make soup? Good grief, if you dont like the recipe, move on already.
Mar 29, 2011
I took out the carrots and added peas and corn and it was really good. The entire family enjoyed. I would probably add more barley next time.
Sep 19, 2010
it was good tasted just like in restaurants. I just didnt add the parsley or inion powder. But came out just as good.
Aug 10, 2009
The green you see are green onions..Alot of recipes dont add it as an ingredient because it is usually used as a garnish.
Jun 2, 2009
This soup is kind of bland. Also I see something green in the picture and it calls for nothing green ?????What was left out?