Hearty Barley Beef Soup
A big slice of sourdough bread goes great with a bowl of this heart-warming soup that's brimming with beef and barley. --Megan Taylor
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds lean beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute mushrooms until tender. Add the broth, carrots, garlic powder, thyme and remaining pepper; bring to a boil. Add barley and beef. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the meat, vegetables and barley are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 296 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 451mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Beef Barley Soup in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook