Ground Beef and Barley Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 168 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Jan 19, 2019
This recipe is easy and delicious. I halved the beef and added ground pork for the other half. This is definitely a do again recipe.
May 15, 2018
Excellent--hearty comfort food. I substituted 3 can tomato sauce for the diced tomatoes. I wish summer wasn't coming or I'd make it again soon. A keeper to be made in cooler months.
Apr 23, 2016
This was very good. I tossed in a few mushrooms that needed used up. Substituted tomato sauce for the soup because I didn't have the soup.
Feb 2, 2016
Some people do not belong in the kitchen. Uwasv-waya is one of them. For Pete's sake it is soup! Folks next time you cooks send in a recipe have your tape measure handy. It's a good soup. My stars aren't working. 5 stars
Nov 17, 2015
This is an easy fast and delicious recipe for soup lovers. Thank you for the posting. Alan in New Hampshire
Jul 31, 2015
Mar 1, 2015
My family loved it. prepared it exactly is a recipe directs. My wife is not crazy about soup but she absolutely loves this one. It has so much flavor.
Feb 4, 2013
It was delicious!
Oct 31, 2012
Very good! My husband and 1-year-old daughter love it!
Jun 26, 2012
This was a a pretty good soup. No complaint from the family. It was really easy to make. I used ground turkey instead of beef and added some frozen peas and a zuchini I had on hand. I would make this again.