Slow-Cooked Wild Rice
This recipe has become such a family heirloom that I asked my mother's permission before passing it along. It has traveled to weddings, baptisms, landmark birthdays and wedding anniversaries—and it always makes people happy. —Janet Mahowald, Rice Lake, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage with celery and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add soups, rice and mushrooms. Stir in broth.
- Cook, covered, on low until rice is tender, 4-5 hours.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 236 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1059mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Wild Rice Hot Dish in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.