- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked converted rice (not instant)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef, onions, pepper and celery 7-8 minutes or until no longer pink, crumble meat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain and transfer meat mixture to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add next 8 ingredients.
- Cook, covered, on low until rice and vegetables are tender, 4-5 hours, stirring once. Top with olives and cheese before serving.
Test Kitchen tips
1-1/4 cups: 378 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 632mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.