Slow-Cooker Spanish Rice
Here's an economical dish with authentic Tex-Mex taste. Even the little ones will go for this Spanish rice. —Sharon Tipton, Casselberry, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked converted rice (not instant)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef, onions, pepper and celery 7-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain and transfer meat mixture to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add next eight ingredients.
- Cook, covered, on low until rice and vegetables are tender, 4-5 hours, stirring once. Top with olives and cheese before serving.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 378 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 632mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as CALIFORNIA SPANISH RICE in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018