Slow Cooker Rice Porridge
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Additional milk and cherry pie filling, optional
- Toasted sliced almonds, optional
- Brush the inside of a 5-qt. slow cooker with melted butter. Add rice, sugar, salt, milk and half and half; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on high for 2 hours; stir. Cover and cook until liquid is almost absorbed and rice is tender, 30 minutes.
- If desired, stir in additional milk and top with cherry pie filling and almonds.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 186 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 5, 2020
Made this last week since my husband loves rice pudding. Cooked it for the 2 hours on high and then stirred it and it was a little wet. So I cooked it a little more than the half-hour specified but I probably shouldn't have. The longer it sits, the thicker it gets. So next time I may only cook it the 2 hours. It had a very good taste. Will definitely make again.