Slow Cooker Rice Porridge
We Italians have a soft spot for our rice dishes. Whether it's risotto or rice pudding, it's all good. This not-too-sweet treat is a terrific way to finish a meal. Top it off with cherry or blueberry pie filling right before serving...or stir in a little Amaretto. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Additional milk and cherry pie filling, optional
- Toasted sliced almonds, optional
- Brush the inside of a 5-qt. slow cooker with melted butter. Add rice, sugar, salt, milk and half and half; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on high for 2 hours; stir. Cover and cook until liquid is almost absorbed and rice is tender, 30 minutes.
- If desired, stir in additional milk and top with cherry pie filling and almonds.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 186 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Rice Pudding in a Crock Pot in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.