Slow-Cooker Chorizo Breakfast Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours + standing
- 1 pound fresh chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo, onion, red pepper and jalapenos over medium heat until cooked through and vegetables are tender, 7-8 minutes, breaking chorizo into crumbles; drain. Cool slightly.
- In a greased 5-qt. slow cooker, layer a third of the potatoes, chorizo mixture and cheese. Repeat layers twice. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and pepper until blended; pour over top.
- Cook, covered, on low 4-4-1/2 hours or until eggs are set and a thermometer reads 160°. Uncover and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 512 calories, 32g fat (12g saturated fat), 350mg cholesterol, 964mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
May 5, 2019
Super happy with this recipe. Cut ingredients in half since there are only two of us (except the cheese!). Used chunky (not shredded) hash browns. Only used 1/4 c milk
Dec 1, 2018
Wonderful recipe! I made this for a ladies gathering last Christmas, so I left out the jalapeno and added some salt. It got rave reviews, and some recipe requests! I'm making it again this year, and everyone I mentioned it to is excited!
Dec 17, 2017
Sorry, Taste of Home. I usually like your recipes but this one was a big loser. I cut it in half, and even cut the chorizo in half again, and it still burnt my mouth. There's a difference between spicy and hot. This was HOT. A big waste of money. Beware, cooks, If you don't like really pepper hot food, don't try this.
Nov 8, 2016
Absolutely a wonderful recipe. If you LOVE Mexican food - this is for you! So mouth watering in taste and texture. I added pepper jack cheese and added another cupful of cheese as we are cheese lovers. You can make this in a 9 x 13 baking pan instead of a crockpot, cover in foil for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until heated through. I made breakfast taco's with this using corn tortillas as the taste of corn shines through. This is a winner.