Slow Cooker Chorizo Breakfast Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours + standing
- 1 pound fresh chorizo or Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo, onion, red pepper and jalapenos over medium heat 7-8 minutes or until cooked through and vegetables are tender, breaking chorizo into crumbles; drain. Cool slightly.
- In a greased 5-qt. slow cooker, layer a third of the potatoes, chorizo mixture and cheese. Repeat layers twice. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and pepper until blended; pour over top.
- Cook, covered, on low 4-4-1/2 hours or until eggs are set and a thermometer reads 160°. Uncover and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 512 calories, 32g fat (12g saturated fat), 350mg cholesterol, 964mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Dec 17, 2017
Sorry, Taste of Home. I usually like your recipes but this one was a big loser. I cut it in half, and even cut the chorizo in half again, and it still burnt my mouth. There's a difference between spicy and hot. This was HOT. A big waste of money. Beware, cooks, If you don't like really pepper hot food, don't try this.
Nov 8, 2016
Absolutely a wonderful recipe. If you LOVE Mexican food - this is for you! So mouth watering in taste and texture. I added pepper jack cheese and added another cupful of cheese as we are cheese lovers. You can make this in a 9 x 13 baking pan instead of a crockpot, cover in foil for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until heated through. I made breakfast taco's with this using corn tortillas as the taste of corn shines through. This is a winner.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.