Spanish Rice with Cilantro
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, broth, chili powder, salt, sugar and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/8 cups: 258 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 658mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Nov 29, 2014
I thought this was just okay but not great. Probably will not make again, no depth of flavor.
Nov 19, 2009
Very Tasty! MAde this for my daughter who is a vegetarian and she loved it! Goes very nicely with tacos to round out a full meal.
Oct 9, 2009
I make this every time I make tacos or enchiladas. In stead of the canned diced tomatoes with green chillies I use a reg. can of diced tomatoes and a draines can of chopped green chillies for a little more heat, I sometimes add cut up cooked chicken to turn it into a main course meal. This is the best spanish rice recipe i have tried and my family agrees.
Feb 1, 2008
It's funny! I have eaten rice like this but Spanish people don't make this rice. I know, I'm Spanish.