Spanish Rice with Chicken & Peas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a small bowl, toss chicken with flour, pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a Dutch oven, heat 4 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken, stirring occasionally; remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add pepper, onion and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender, 2-4 minutes. Add rice, cumin, chili powder and remaining salt; stir to coat rice. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Place browned chicken over rice (do not stir in). Cook, covered, until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 367 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 755mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 23, 2017
This was good. Did not add cumin or chili powder, as we don't care for them. Otherwise it was good. Easy to make. Thanks.
Oct 19, 2016
This was easy to make and very good. Will make it again.
Jun 25, 2016
I switched the white rice with saffron rice an it was great
Jun 13, 2016
Tasty and easy. Perfect for cool weather. I didn't add the cumin as I didn't have any and the chopped tomatoes I used a 10 oz can of fire roasted Rotel tomatoes which added some more spice
Apr 7, 2016
This dish was very good, must say very easy. All regular food l have on hand. I added a little hot sauce and l put the peas in after l turned the burner off so they stayed nice & green. It would also be a nice side dish without the chicken. Janet. VFE