Spanish Rice with Bacon
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Add oil to the drippings; saute onion for 3 minutes. Add rice; stir until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with bacon.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 287 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 514mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Dec 4, 2017
Anything tastes better with bacon - including rice! This adds a nice twist to Spanish Rice. We used only one jalapeno because we didn't want too much fire. You can also adjust the chili powder to regulate the amount of heat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.