Quick Spanish Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup diced cooked carrots
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute rice in oil until lightly browned. Add the onion, garlic and salt if desired; cook over low heat until onion is tender.
- Add water and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until water is almost absorbed. Stir in the tomatoes, peas and carrots; cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and vegetables are heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 185 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 40mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Jun 25, 2017
This goes with any enchilada or burrito main dish.
Apr 21, 2011
This was quite different from the Spanish rice my mom used to make, which involved canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, green pepper and bacon....a delicious rice dish in itself....but this went so nicely with the chicken torilla bake that accompanied it. The more highly flavored dish I think of when I think "Spanish rice" wouldn't have been as good as a companion for this recipe. We loved it, and when I make the chicken dish in the future, this is the rice dish I'll make to go with it.