Spanish White Rice
This is my own recipe. It's easy, economical and good for you, but the best part is it tastes great and goes with everything from hamburgers to steaks.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2/3 cup uncooked instant rice
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions, using broth instead of water; set aside. In a small skillet, saute the green pepper, celery, onion and garlic in water until tender. Add the tomato, seasoned salt if desired, chili powder, pepper and cooked rice. Cook 3-4 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 133 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 223mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Originally published as Spanish Rice in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook