Simple Spanish Rice
Emily Hockett, of Federal Way, Washington says, “I prefer this side dish to traditional recipes because it’s vegetarian and lower in fat. While you’re preparing the rest of your meal, it simmers on the stove, allowing the flavors to blend beautifully.”
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook brown rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and pepper in butter until tender. Stir in tomatoes and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cooked rice; heat through.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 183 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 390mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Simple Spanish Rice in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009
Apr 16, 2015
Feb 10, 2015
We love this rice!
Jan 6, 2013
Very flavorful dish. I could just make a meal off of this. Makes a good bit also.
May 16, 2010
This was great. I didn't have any brown rice, so used wild rice. My guests loved it!