Speedy Spanish Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup picante sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the rice, onion and green pepper in butter until rice is lightly browned and vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, cilantro, cumin, bouillon and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in picante sauce.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 201 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 5, 2017
the picante sauce should be optional...
Feb 2, 2012
I also had to use instant white rice. And red pepper, instead of green. The seasoning was perfect. A keeper!
Feb 23, 2010
Oh my goodness, this is good. I use instant white rice though after trying brown rice. I'm not a fan of instant rice but this is very tasty. I omitted the cilantro as I didn't have any.
Jan 13, 2008
Simple and easy to prepare. I did not have brown instant rice, so I substituted instant white rice, and it came out just fine.