Speedy Spanish Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup picante sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the rice, onion and green pepper in butter until rice is lightly browned and vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, cilantro, cumin, bouillon and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in picante sauce.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 201 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 5, 2017
the picante sauce should be optional...
Feb 2, 2012
I also had to use instant white rice. And red pepper, instead of green. The seasoning was perfect. A keeper!
Feb 23, 2010
Oh my goodness, this is good. I use instant white rice though after trying brown rice. I'm not a fan of instant rice but this is very tasty. I omitted the cilantro as I didn't have any.
Jan 13, 2008
Simple and easy to prepare. I did not have brown instant rice, so I substituted instant white rice, and it came out just fine.