Spanish Rice Empanadas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (5.6 or 6.8 ounces) Spanish rice and pasta mix
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 2 packages (15 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Prepare Spanish rice according to package directions, omitting the butter or oil. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cheese, onions and olives. Stir in prepared rice.
- Roll each sheet of pastry into a 12-in. circle; place on greased baking sheets. Spoon rice mixture over half of each circle; spread to within 1 in. of edges. Fold pastry over filling; crimp edges to seal. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over tops.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut empanadas in half to serve.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 4, 2014
Great recipe. Although I do like black olives, my family does not, so I had to leave those out. I also added a can of black beans to the mixture for added protein. Another addition was corn. I had some leftover corn in the refrigerator and I added that to the mixture. Will do that again!
May 4, 2014
Excellent tasting and very filling! I served this with Dilly Corn on this site and refried beans.
Oct 14, 2010
This is a great recipe for an quick and easy meal! My whole family loved it!