Spanish Rice Empanadas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (5.6 or 6.8 ounces) Spanish rice and pasta mix
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 2 packages (15 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Prepare Spanish rice according to package directions, omitting the butter or oil. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cheese, onions and olives. Stir in prepared rice.
- Roll each sheet of pastry into a 12-in. circle; place on greased baking sheets. Spoon rice mixture over half of each circle; spread to within 1 in. of edges. Fold pastry over filling; crimp edges to seal. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over tops.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut empanadas in half to serve.
Aug 4, 2014
Great recipe. Although I do like black olives, my family does not, so I had to leave those out. I also added a can of black beans to the mixture for added protein. Another addition was corn. I had some leftover corn in the refrigerator and I added that to the mixture. Will do that again!
May 4, 2014
Excellent tasting and very filling! I served this with Dilly Corn on this site and refried beans.
Oct 14, 2010
This is a great recipe for an quick and easy meal! My whole family loved it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.