Quick Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes4 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 package (6.2 ounces) fast-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- Cook rice mix according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in milk and broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until slightly thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and rice mixture; heat through.
Nutrition Facts2 cups: 465 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 1095mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 3, 2019
So good! Definitely a keeper.
Mar 9, 2016
This was quick & easy, and very tasty. I used a pouch of pre-cooked wild rice mixture, because that is what was available at our store. Also used turkey broth from our Thanksgiving turkey.
Apr 13, 2015
This was quick and easy but was just okay. We found it bland for our tastes. I added some pepper and Mrs. Dash to try to add a little more flavor.
Feb 5, 2015
This soup is outstanding!!! I just made it for dinner tonight. The only other comment/suggestion I would make is that it is a soup to be eaten immediately. If you plan to make the soup ahead of time, you can add the chicken at the end, but wait to add the cooked rice until just before serving as the rice will soak up all the liquids and then you will have to add additional broth to get it to soup serving consistency again. Thanks for this great recipe!
Jan 3, 2015
Just got my magazine and had everything. Put it all together and it was excellent. I did use skim milk and used 1 can chicken broth and 3 chicken bouillon cubes and it was still great.Very simple to make and very good.