Sausage Wild Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes5 quarts (13 servings)
- 9 cups water, divided
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 55-60 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a stockpot, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano and remaining water. Return sausage to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, salt, pepper and wild rice; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 217 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 794mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 10, 2012
Love this soup!!!
Jan 15, 2012
I really liked this recipe. I did make a few changes though. I cut it in half. (even then it made a lot probably enough for 6+ people) I also added some more veggies: carrots and celery with the onion and some summer squash when I added the sausage back in. I don't think I used quite the amount of liquid the recipe calls for, but I like my soups a little more chunky! I would recommend this! And like the original recipe says you could make the full batch and freeze some or share with friends!