Sausage Wild Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes5 quarts (13 servings)
- 9 cups water, divided
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 55-60 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a stockpot, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano and remaining water. Return sausage to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, salt, pepper and wild rice; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 217 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 794mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Apr 10, 2012
Love this soup!!!
Jan 15, 2012
I really liked this recipe. I did make a few changes though. I cut it in half. (even then it made a lot probably enough for 6+ people) I also added some more veggies: carrots and celery with the onion and some summer squash when I added the sausage back in. I don't think I used quite the amount of liquid the recipe calls for, but I like my soups a little more chunky! I would recommend this! And like the original recipe says you could make the full batch and freeze some or share with friends!