Microwave Sausage and Wild Rice
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- Prepare rice according to package directions; set aside. Crumble sausage into an ungreased 2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain; reserve 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Add onions and mushrooms to drippings. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring twice. Stir in the flour until blended. Gradually add broth and cream. Cover and cook on high for 3-5 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring twice. Stir in rice and sausage. Cover and microwave on high for 7-12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 432 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 1282mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Sep 15, 2011
Just because this is made in the microwave don't let it stop you from making it! It is easy and delicious. I have made a similar recipe with hamburgber, but this switch with the sauage ism a wonderful change. I will definately be making this again!