Microwave Sausage and Wild Rice
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- Prepare rice according to package directions; set aside. Crumble sausage into an ungreased 2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain; reserve 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Add onions and mushrooms to drippings. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring twice. Stir in the flour until blended. Gradually add broth and cream. Cover and cook on high for 3-5 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring twice. Stir in rice and sausage. Cover and microwave on high for 7-12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Sep 15, 2011
Just because this is made in the microwave don't let it stop you from making it! It is easy and delicious. I have made a similar recipe with hamburgber, but this switch with the sauage ism a wonderful change. I will definately be making this again!