Pepper Chicken and Rice
Besides being colorful and tasty, this dish has a nice variety of textures, like tender chicken and crunchy water chestnuts.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon salt-free herb and spice seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large Dutch oven, saute chicken and onion in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add rice; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Add enough water to the tomato juices to measure 2-1/4 cups. Add tomato juice mixture to pan along with the soy sauce, bouillon and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in green peppers and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and water chestnuts; heat through. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 429 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 2282mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Pepper Chicken and Rice in Country Chicken Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.