Beef & Bulgur-Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each zucchini lengthwise in half. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell; chop pulp.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and red pepper over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, bulgur, pepper and zucchini pulp. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until bulgur is tender. Stir in salsa. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender and filling is heated through.
Nutrition Facts2 stuffed zucchini halves: 361 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 714mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 2, 2017
This recipe was delicious and a great way to use my abundant zucchini crop! I made the entire recipe for the two of us, and put part of it in the freezer to enjoy later.
Oct 1, 2017
I made this delicious recipe recently. Hubby and I both loved this dish and cleaned our plates. I made no changes to the recipe. We had some left over and it was delicious the next day. I highly recommend this recipe. Definitely worth the 5 stars I gave it.Volunteer Field Editor