Pinto Bean Zucchini Boats
Zucchini shells take center stage when filled with vegetables, beans and sauce.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 large zucchini
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 3/8-in. shell. Chop pulp and set aside. In a Dutch oven, bring water and salt to a boil. Add zucchini shells; cook for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and zucchini pulp in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the beans, corn, tomato sauce, chili sauce, cilantro and cumin. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Spoon into zucchini shells; sprinkle with tomato.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 368 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 2079mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 12g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Zucchini in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.