Turkey Sausage Zucchini Boats
When I worked in the school library, my co-workers were my taste testers. They approved this healthy and happy spin on stuffed zucchini. —Stephanie Cotterman, West Alexandria, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 medium zucchini
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup salad croutons, coarsely crushed
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each zucchini lengthwise in half. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell; chop pulp.
- In a large skillet, cook turkey, onion, celery, garlic and seasonings over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, breaking up turkey into crumbles. Stir in croutons, 1/2 cup cheese and zucchini pulp. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- Transfer to two ungreased 13x9-in. baking dishes; add 1/4 in. water. Bake, covered, 30-35 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts2 stuffed zucchini halves: 240 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 556mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Sep 17, 2019
Wasn't terrible but the filling was really bland. Next time i plan to throw some tomatoes and additional seasonings in. My daughter who doesn't like most foods loved it.
Dec 21, 2015
Fairly simple to make and they turned out tasty!