Avocado Crab Boats
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 5 medium ripe avocados, peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat broiler. Place two avocado halves in a large bowl; mash lightly with a fork. Add mayonnaise and lemon juice; mix until well blended. Stir in crab, 3 tablespoons cilantro, chives, serrano pepper, capers and pepper. Spoon into remaining avocado halves.
- Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Broil 4-5 in. from heat until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro; serve with lemon wedges.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 filled avocado half: 325 calories, 28g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 427mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 17, 2019
These directions are very clear.
May 20, 2018
Very tasty and easy to make. I scooped out all the avacado, mixed all ingredients together except the pepperjack. I refilled the shells and baked/broiled that way. Had some left over to eat as dip.
Apr 8, 2018
To clear up the confusion, just look at the photo! Discard skin from avocados, you are stuffing the remaining 8 (halves of avocado, not skins!), with the crab avo mixture in step one. I use fresh crab and more cilantro, just personal preference. Very tasty, my crew loves these! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Feb 21, 2018
You guys are missing that you mound the 2 mashed avocado halves mixed with the crab and seasoning onto the avocado halves that are still full with the little hole where seed was.
Jan 20, 2018
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you halve five avocados, you have 10 avocado halves. If you use two of those 10 avocado halves for the mashed avocado, you will have eight avocado halves left to stuff with the crab mixture, thus making eight servings. Everything worked out just fine when I made this--and it's really good!
Jul 22, 2017
I agree with Water4Chocolate. The ingredient list shows 5 avocados being used, but only the flesh from 2 halves being called for in the recipe. And it serves 8, so I presume 8 empty avocado half shells are being used, not 10 that would result from using 5 avocados.What happens to the flesh from the other 4 avocados? Are we to put the flesh from 5 whole avocados in the mix, and then stuff 8 half shells with the total mixture using the other ingredients?
Mar 27, 2017
These are so good and so easy!
Mar 18, 2017
Something isn't right about the directions. It's based around Two avocado halves??? What am I missing here?