Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) French bread
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 plum tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped, divided
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) imitation crabmeat
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- Cut bread in half horizontally; hollow out top and bottom, leaving 1-in. shells. Crumble removed bread; set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add half of the tomatoes. Add the jalapeno, garlic and cilantro; cook and stir for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the crab, ricotta and sour cream. Stir in the tomato mixture, reserved bread crumbs and 1 cup cheese blend. Spoon into bread shells.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Top with remaining cheese blend and tomatoes. Bake 5-7 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 571 calories, 23g fat (15g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 1290mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Sep 17, 2016
I thought this recipe was okay but not great and agree that it seemed like something was missing.
Jul 14, 2010
I have not made this recipe yet but am going to shortly. It is a contest winner so your review is a little surprising, but it does appear to be missing salt or basic seasoning. I will try adding some Old Bay seasoning too. Let ya know how it turns out.
Nov 19, 2009
I was a little disappointed with this recipe. I thought there was not much taste to the sandwich. Something is missing and I am not quite sure what. I think I will have to try adding other spices or something. Any ideas?